A new £9million swimming pool had to be closed three times in 12 days after toddlers kept pooing in the water, it was revealed today.
Health chiefs were forced to close the state-of-the-art pool after staff became sick of fishing floaters out of the water.
Montrose Sports Centre are working closely with Angus Council, near Dundee, to urge parents to kit their kids with specialist swimming nappies which contain ‘poo-catching nets.’
A spokeswoman for the council said: “In each of these instances, to protect public safety the pool was closed in line with the facility’s normal operating procedures and industry recommendations.
“During the closures the level of chlorine was increased and the water was filtered for a minimum eight hours.
“We would like to take this opportunity to remind pool users that swimming nappies are available from reception.”
Montrose Sports Centre was opened in November and had nearly 30,000 visitors in its first six weeks after a whopping #9million was invested state-of-the-art development.
The spree of pooing toddlers only hit on May 18 when swimmers in the main pool alerted staff to a floater in the water.
After clearing the pool out, just four days later another poo was discovered on May 22.
The last bowel evacuation came eight days later on May 30 and since then the coast has been clear.
Montrose Sports Centre – which also has a fitness suite and several games halls – has two pools, one measuring 13 metres by seven metres and a larger six-lane main pool measuring 25 metres by 13 metres.