Did someone bite off more than they can chew? Hungry Labrador gets bone wedged aroud her jaw

December 7, 2012 | by | 0 Comments

A Labrador bit off more than she could chew – after getting this bone wedged around her jaw.

Four-year-old Charley was chomping down on the 10cm circular marrow treat when it got stuck and her owner Pete Williams, 31, was unable to remove it.

He rushed her to a PDSA hospital in Brislington, Bristol, where veterinary surgeons sedated her and used specialist cutters to remove it.

Charley the Labrador with owner Pete Williams after the operation to remove a bone wedged around her jaw

Charley the Labrador with owner Pete Williams after the operation to remove a bone wedged around her jaw

Pete, of Whitchurch, Bristol, said he was unsure how the bone became lodged around Charley’s jaw.

He said: “We had given her a marrow bone as a treat and she was happily enjoying it but as she was munching her way through it she somehow managed to get it stuck around her jaw.

“Once I realised what had happened, I tried to get the bone off but it was completely wedged.

“It’s beyond me how she did it. I’m really grateful to the vets and nurses at PDSA for the way they looked after her.”

The poorly pooch suffered a blood filled swelling on her jaw but luckily the ordeal left no lasting damage and, with pain medication, she was able to go home the same day.

Charley with the bone marrow stuck around her jaw

Charley with the bone marrow stuck around her jaw

Charley had to be sedated by vets at a pet hospital to remove the bone

Charley had to be sedated by vets at a pet hospital to remove the bone

Linda Day, Senior Veterinary Surgeon at the hospital, said: “We do see cases where dogs get things stuck in their jaw but I’ve not seen anything like this before.

“It was so firmly wedged she could hardly move her jaw. It was essential that we took immediate action to remove it.

“Thankfully cases like this are very rare.”

She added that the case highlighted the dangers of giving dogs bones and urged owners to consider alternatives such as dental chews.

“It’s not a good idea to give dogs bones as there can be serious consequences that owners aren’t aware of,” she said.

“Bones can splinter and get stuck in the intestines, which can lead to very serious problems needing surgery. As well as being distressing, this can result in a large vet bill.

“It’s also quite possible, as in Charley’s case, to get bones stuck in their mouth, especially between their teeth across their palate.

“We recommend that people take their dog for a walk or get them a new toy as a treat instead of giving them a bone!”

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy