British couple showered at U.S. hotel then found out the water was contaminated… by a rotting body

February 21, 2013 | by | 0 Comments

A British couple drank and showered at an American hotel before finding out the water supply was contaminated — by a decomposing body.

Horrified Michael and Sabina Baugh, both 27, were staying at the Cecil Hotel in Los Angeles and washed and showered in their room.

But the couple, of Plymouth, Devon, were then told a dead body had been found in the water tank – where it had been for the last eight days.

Canadian Elisa Lam, 21, was found dead at the bottom of a giant rooftop water tank at the hotel days after she went missing.

Michael, a professional guitarist, said:  “The moment we found out, we felt a bit sick to the stomach, quite literally, especially having drank the water.

“We showered, brushed our teeth and drank a little water, not too bad, however one of the Russian guys we were with drank four litres a day.

“We actually liked the area for the first five days, it was great, only since the body was found it became a nightmare.”

Sabina added: “It tasted horrible. It had a very funny, disgusting taste. There was something wrong, the pressure in the water was terrible, the shower was awful.

“It made me feel really sick knowing that we’ve been drinking this water for eight days.”

Los Angeles County Department of Public Health officials are testing for contamination at the 700-room hotel in downtown LA.

Ms Lam was last seen on January 31 inside the hotel’s elevator where CCTV footage showed her appearing to hide from someone.

Her body was found Tuesday morning by a maintenance worker after guests complained about low water pressure.

Police are treating her death as suspicious and say she would have had to climb several ladders and bypass an alarm to make it to the rooftop tank.

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy