Cat wheelie bin woman Mary Bale apologises for “joke”

August 25, 2010 | by | 51 Comments

The woman who dumped a cat in a wheelie bin today apologised for her actions as she was whisked away for showdown talks with the RSPCA.

Bespectacled Mary Bale, 45, became a national hate figure when CCTV footage emerged of her dropping four-year-old tabby Lola into the bin ”as a joke”.

She went into hiding at her mother Celia’s house after receiving deaths threats on internet sites.

But yesterday morning two police officers and two detectives bundled her into a police car and drove her to her scruffy terraced house in Coventry to collect her belongings.

Officers took her to a secret location where she was expected to meet RSPCA top brass to discuss possible prosecution for animal cruelty charges.

Shortly beforehand she issued an unreserved apology – and revealed she believes she will be SACKED because of her actions.

In a statement, she said: ”I want to take this opportunity to apologise profusely for the upset and distress that my actions have caused.

”I cannot explain why I did this, it is completely out of character and I certainly did not intend to cause any distress to Lola or her owners.

”It was a split second of misjudgement that has got completely out of control.

”I am due to meet with the RSPCA and police to discuss this matter further and will co-operate fully with their investigations.

”I wish to reiterate that I am profoundly sorry for my actions and wish to resolve this matter to everyone’s satisfaction as soon as possible.”

Speaking before she left in a police car, spinster Mary, a Royal Bank of Scotland cashier, said: ”All I want to do is put things right. I never meant for this to happen and I’ll do anything to make amends.

”I’m in constant contact with the police and I’m due to have a meeting with the RSPCA this afternoon to see where we go from here.

”I’m co-operating with them fully. I’m willing to meet the owners to say how sorry I am. Hopefully everything can be resolved and there can be a happy ending.

”I think I’ve lost my job. Would you want to be served by me after all of this?

”My mum’s finding it really stressful. My dad’s ill in hospital so it’s all passed him by. The whole thing is unbelievable and now I just want it to be sorted out.

”The last 48 hours have been a nightmare. I never expected this kind of reaction from around the world. I’m even receiving death threats so the police have given me protection.”

The storm erupted earlier this week when footage emerged of Mary stroking tabby Lola on a wall outside a house on Brays Lane in Coventry at around 8pm on Saturday (21/08).

But she then sudden grabbed the four-year-old cat by the scruff of the neck and threw it into a wheelie bin before calmly walking away.

Terrified Lola was trapped in the bin for 15 HOURS before her owners Stephanie Andrews-Mann and husband Darryl finally found her the following morning.

Footage of the attack was captured by a CCTV camera which the couple use to monitor the front of their home.

They posted the video on YouTube and Facebook in a bid to track down the culprit – sparking outrage across the world.

West Midlands police have kept a vigil at Mary’s house for fear of attacks from animal rights activists since the video emerged on Monday.

It is estimated that the cost of police protection for Mary alone could run to hundreds of pounds.

Yesterday Mary added: ”Hopefully this will all be put right soon and people will realise that I never meant to cause any harm to the animal.

”I’d like to apologise to anyone who has been affected by it.”

Tags: , , ,

1. Simon says:

Mary Bale made a stupid – and cruel mistake.

Do people who support mass cruelty on a daily basis by eating animals have any right to criticise?

2. Simon says:

Mary Bale made a stupid – and cruel mistake.

3. Alex says:

Does it matter simon??? this womans a freak, end of story. She doesn't deserve to die or go to jail but £5000 to the owners would be about right.

4. Alex says:

5. Nadia says:

I am not sorry for Mary Bale.

She gets what she bargained for.

Causing hardships and abuse to defenseless animals should be punished appropriately. I am glad that authorities are looking into this and I am glad that world has reacted against her. That shows that not everyone is like this Mary Bale.

Of course she apologizes, what else can she do?

But what if she wasn't caught? Did she come back to get Lola out of that bin during these 15 hours (that is if it was a mistake and 'out of character')? What if it wasn't Lola, but a stray cat for whom on-one looked, and the cat would die in there?

Would she be 'sorry' as well, or would that be: 'who cares, it's not a human'?

6. Nadia says:

I am not sorry for Mary Bale.

She gets what she bargained for.

Of course she apologizes, what else can she do?

Would she be 'sorry' as well, or would that be: 'who cares, it's not a human'?

7. Chris says:

I would hate for something like this to happen to my cat. I mean, what if the owner hadn't heard her miawling in the bin? That would be a horrible way to die for any being.

But that Bale woman probably didn't think about it. It's the kind of stupid ideas people get sometimes, and they do seem funny on the spot, like talking about bombs in an airport – just to see what reaction you'll get.

What I mean is, yeah, of course she shouldn't have done it. But she probably never imagined that the cat would stay there so long. Maybe she thought Lola could get out by herself, or that someone would find her soon, so why would she come back? Surely the cat already was out…

No, I dont' think I would be so understanding if Lola had died in there…

8. Chris says:

No, I dont' think I would be so understanding if Lola had died in there…

9. Robin says:

Wow That Just Mean…

10. Robin says:

Wow That Just Mean…

11. Mike says:

there a people in the world that do much worst acts than this even tho i agree this is wrong.

but she can say she is sorry all she wants…

shes just sorry she was caught nothing more

12. Mike says:

but she can say she is sorry all she wants…

shes just sorry she was caught nothing more

13. Robin says:

She Dosnt Even Have A Reason For Doing That Thats The Most Horrible Thing!

14. Robin says:

She Dosnt Even Have A Reason For Doing That Thats The Most Horrible Thing!

15. Adam says:

Thats just sad seeing things like that. Im a pet owner and love any type of animal but that was cruel and disgusting.

There is something terribly wrong with that woman, even if she was stressed or have a nervous breakdown, you dont throw a cat in a bin.

Ive witnessed and heard worse. Animals should just be treated right and fairly.

16. Adam says:

Ive witnessed and heard worse. Animals should just be treated right and fairly.

17. Markus says:

Sick world. 98% of child abusers and violent criminals start their way torturing/ killing animals. What are the hiring criterias of a bank? Now I understand! Cats? Customers Money? Just dump it!

18. Markus says:

19. Gera says:

The lady has by now received the punishment she deserved. Don't overdue it and let her live!

20. Gera says:

21. Alice says:

Well i think it was quite funny!! Lol

• Klaudia says:

Alice [Moderator] 4 months ago
      Well i think it was quite funny!! Lol

yeah, you think its funny but if your mom/dad did something like this to you? would it be funny than? it is like 15 hours with out food and drink.

22. Alice says:

Well i think it was quite funny!! Lol

23. Karen says:

This Bale woman is a cold monster who should spend jail time. Wonder how often she's tortoured defensless animals bevore!

24. Karen says:

25. Daryl says:

If I were the police officer holding vigil at her house, I think I would fall asleep or just look the other way if anybody came walking.

Im a meat eater, too bad. I also have dogs and cats and love them all. They are my kids and are treated as such. If I were to catch somebody in the act doing that, I would be the one in custody. I promise you that.

26. Daryl says:

27. Judy says:

Apologizing doesn't make up for the fact that poor Lola was in that wheelie bin for 15 HOURS. If anybody did that to MY cat, they'd just be asking for a beating and then a lawsuit, followed by another beating…. >: I can't believe someone would actually do that!

28. Judy says:

29. ET says:

Funny, Alice? Really? FUNNY?

Are you such a cold person that you don't view any family's pets as just that? Treasured companions with whom they have a close bond? It's not like tossing out a banana peel, for chrissake – it's a living, breathing creature.

This woman has exposed her essential heartlessness in a casual moment of wanton cruelty, and IMO she deserves every morsel of recrimination that comes her way. I have zero sympathy for anybody who steps up to try to exonerate her. You apply psychopathic behavior toward a trusting animal, you deserve what you get in return when public opinion exposes you. This woman is a sad example of humanity.

30. ET says:

Funny, Alice? Really? FUNNY?

31. animalsareonlyanimal says:

Common all of you, leave the poor woman alone. She is just a little stupid, so what, many stupid people have killed actual humans and some, cruels, order for other people to kill every fucking day. That's only a fucking cat for chrissake, and he didn't die, he probably already forgot about it !!!

• Klaudia says:

are you so stupid to think that!? thats an ANIMAL. it is like a human but with no hands and four legs. people should show it respect. now for this comment you SHOULD be putten in to a wheel-bin for 15 hours with no food and drink…

32. animalsareonlyanimal says:

33. Si says:

I had not seen this footage until today – this woman is obviously disturbed. Shortly after the cat jumps up on to the wall you can see her look straight at the wheelie bin (0:11) if this isn't pre-meditated I don't know what is. There have been many threats made and I'm in no doubt that people feel that nothing will actually happen to this woman, however, we can only hope that she is excluded from participating in society at large, at least unsupervised.

The more worrying issue for me is how does someone who is supposedly a 'normal and respectable' member of society, end up with such deteriorated mental health, and act in this way. We're all fast to criticise, but what's to say that this kind of behaviour isn't taking place everyday, are we as a society creating a vacuum which leaves people feeling this is the only way they can have some twisted kind of power or control?

It's totally wrong and I have stated what I think should happen – but I expect this is the tip of the iceberg.

34. Si says:

35. bob says:

Did Mary Bale invent the 'Cat Litter Converter'?

36. bob says:

Did Mary Bale invent the 'Cat Litter Converter'?

37. Jake Elwood says:

Mary needs psychiatric help. This is not an excuse for what she did but this is not the actions of a mentally stable 45-year-old woman. It does highlight that there is a problem in UK society of disrespect for the property of others, and a acceptance that other people's business is yours. If Mary and others like her respected other people's property and lives, and had a thought for others, scenes like this would not happen.

38. Jake Elwood says:

39. Saskia says:

Mary bale is a crazy spinster who is making up excuses for her act of animal aggression when the bottom line is she could've just walked past the cat instead pulling her practical joke and causing all this distress! She deserves to be punished properly as it is a crime in the sense of animal rights!

40. Saskia says:

41. eileen says:

What if it had been bin collection day!!!!!

42. eileen says:

What if it had been bin collection day!!!!!

43. Glenn Williams says:

Like so many other people, this video made me very angry and disappointed that so many people seem to think we are overeacting as 'it is only a cat'.

That cat could so easily have died a horrible death and must have been terrified.

If they ever do a remake of 'Misery' she would be perfect to play a bitter, strange old lady.

I suggest she seeks therapy

44. Glenn Williams says:

I suggest she seeks therapy

45. Mike says:

Good lord. Listen the the hypocrites.

Seriously, to all of the people foaming at the mouth and truly wishing harm on this lady: you are all as bad as her.

What she did was cruel and unpleasant. However, terrifying her and making death threats is just as bad if not worse. You should all know better. This lady let out the cruel bit in herself and now you are doing the same.

46. Mike says:

Good lord. Listen the the hypocrites.

Mary Bale should be locked up in a dark cell like the inside of a wheelie bin, then she should be made to hear the sound of a truck coming to pick her up and dump her in the back to be squashed before being dumped on a tip because this could have been the possible outcome of Lola the cat that she so cruelly dumped in the bin. It was no ‘joke’, she is a heartless cruel bitch, think what she could do to a small child ! Viv, Milton Keynes

48. Calico Tuxedo says:

What is it about Cats that just seems to bring the worst out in people. I grew up with dogs, and never really liked them much, but when I moved out on my own – having a dog was not going to work, so I adopted 2 cats from my local animal shelter. They are such a joy, but I guess until you figure out how loving and cool they are – they just seem to bring the worst out in people.

49. Purzyckij says:

the only reason why she “apologize’ is cause she got caught if nobody found out about it she woudlnt have cared less