Dozens of women to be tested in investigation into doctor who delivered David Cameron’s baby

January 18, 2013 | by | 0 Comments

More than 70 women are to undergo tests as part of an investigation into treatment given by a former hospital consultant who delivered David Cameron’s baby.

The Royal Cornwall Hospital Trust (RCHT) has launched an inquiry into obstetrician Kenneth Jones amid claims he made “bizarre decisions” and was “difficult to challenge”.

Jones – known as Rob – is facing allegations of failure to follow proper surgical guidelines.

Officials say 1,400 gynaecological patients he treated in the previous two-and-half years were contacted by the hospital as part of the investigation.

They say more than 70 women will now be put though further anguish and have been recalled for further assessment.

Mr Jones hit the headlines in 2010 when he helped deliver Samantha Cameron’s baby after she went into labour while on holiday in Cornwall.

He was subsequently revealed to have been at the centre of longstanding concerns into his practices at the hospital.

An independent review has now been delivered to the RCHT and will be discussed behind closed doors and then released next month.

The investigation by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOB) say he made “bizarre decisions” and was “difficult to challenge”.

The notes of more than 1,400 former patients were studied and in just over 70 cases concerns were sufficient that further assessment was ordered.

But the RCHT stress that this does not mean all those women will need treatment.

A lawyer representing a group of women considering legal action against the Truro-based trust said they had suffered and deserved full disclosure of all enquiries.

Julie Lewis, a partner and medical law expert at Irwin Mitchell’s South West office, said the report had many tough questions to answer.

She said: ”The women have been put through hell as more reports have emerged regarding Mr Jones’ conduct and they want and deserve answers now so they can begin to come to terms with what has happened.”

South African-born Mr Jones was an employee at the RCHT for a decade and had been at the centre of a number of previous reviews into his practice.

In its report, the RCOB criticised RCHT for “disappointingly” failing to tackle concerns about him which had been mounting for years.

The trust finally took action in October last year on the back of fears raised by a senior member of staff.

Mr Jones, who has removed himself from the medical register, is represented by the Medical Defence Union.

It declined to comment citing patient confidentiality.

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy