E-Cigarette EXPLODES In Dad’s Pocket And Leaves Him With Severe Second Degree Burns

March 2, 2017 | by | 0 Comments
Michael Hardy of Cromford who has suffered second and third degree burns after his e-cigarette exploded in in jeans pocket.

Michael Hardy of Cromford who has suffered second and third degree burns after his e-cigarette exploded in in jeans pocket.

A man has vowed to never use an E-cig again after one exploded “like a flare” in his pocket – leaving him with severe burns.

Michael Hardy, 36, says the acid burn injuries he received from his exploding iJoy Looks E-cigarette are even more painful than breaking his back.

Father-of-one Michael claims the explosion from the £200 device was so ferocious that it set off car alarms as it fizzed and sparked for an entire minute.

He suffered second and third degree burns to his right leg and right arm and was taken to a specialist burns unit at Nottingham City Hospital.

Doctors there told him that the injuries were some of the worst burns they’d ever seen.

Michael Hardy of Cromford who has suffered second and third degree burns

Michael Hardy of Cromford who has suffered second and third degree burns

Michael of Cromford, Derbys., said: “It even set off car alarms – it was like a flare going off in my pocket for about 60 seconds and there was a massive explosion.

“It was the most horrific pain in my life and I have broken my back before – I still am in severe pain from the burns.”

Self-employed labourer Michael had stopped at Leicester Services with friends and has just stepped out the car when the incident happened on Sunday, February 19.

He had bought the iJoy Looks e-cigarette three months ago and said the device was turned off, unplugged from its tank and nothing else was in his pocket.

SWNS_ECIG_BURNS_01Michael was helped to a Travelodge at the service station and was put under a cold shower before he was driven to hospital by his brother Kevin Taylor, a former combat medic.

Speaking about his injuries, Michael said: “I cannot do anything, I am bed bound – my little boy is distraught.

“The plastic surgeons said it was one of the worst burns they had seen.

“It is acid burns as well.”

Michael Hardy's jeans which were damaged when his e-cigarette exploded in his pocket.

Michael Hardy’s jeans which were damaged when his e-cigarette exploded in his pocket.

He is now keen to raise awareness and has urged people to be extra careful when using e-cigarettes.

Michael said: “I do not think there is a safe e-cigarette on the market.

“I have followed the information on how to use it to a tee – I did exactly what it said and I have followed it by the book.”

Asked if he would ever use an e-cig again, Michael replied: “No, I am done.”

Specialists had told Michael in hospital that the e-cigarette burns are some of the worst they have ever seen.

Michael, who is a single parent, is set to have skin graft surgery and has been told it could take months before he fully recovers.

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy