Father paid £450 in eBay scam for a new XBox… and only received a PHOTO of the console

December 5, 2013 | by | 21 Comments

A dad-of-one who forked out £450 on a new XBox One for his son’s first Christmas has been left devastated after he fell victim of an eBay scam – and received a PHOTO of the console instead.

Peter Clatworthy, 19, thought he had landed a bargain when he purchased the much sought-after games console from the popular auction site on November 28 .

The student had spend a year saving up the cash in order to buy a limited edition version of the games system for his four-year-old son McKenzie.

Peter Clatworthy, 19, who fell for an eBay scam in which he paid £450 for just a picture of an Xbox One console

But he was stunned when a grainy photograph of an XBox printed on A4 paper landed through his letterbox on Monday.

To add insult to injury on the back of the picture  the callous seller wrote ‘thank you for your purchase’.

After checking the listing on the eBay website Peter soon realised he had fallen victim to a cruel con.

The misleading ad listed under the “video games and consoles” category stated the item as “XBox One Fifa Day One Edition, Photo Brand New UK 2012″ next to an image of the console.

Although eBay have since offered a refund little McKenzie is likely to be left disappointed this Christmas as the Xbox One has since sold out in the UK.

The eBay scam, XBox advert which led to Peter Clatworthy paying £450 for a picture of an Xbox

Peter, from Bilborough, Notts, fumed: “I’m absolutely gutted.

“I was so happy at first when I got the Xbox One, especially because my son had been asking about it and I knew I had got it for him.

“I had saved up for months, just cutting back on things and putting money in a pot, £20 here and £10 there.

“It came in a brown envelope, when the postman gave it to me I kept asking him if he was sure this package was for me and he kept saying it was.

“As soon as I knew it was for me I realised it was a con, I pulled out a crumbled piece of A4 paper with a pretty bad picture of an Xbox One probably taken from Google.

“I was shocked but then I thought, I only have myself to blame because it does say the word ‘photo’ on the ad.

“I spoke to eBay straight away and asked for a refund, I e-mailed the seller and he told me it was a console – so he did lie to me.”

The teenager said his since received a lot of stick from his friends and family for his error.

He added: “I told my brother and he was crying with laughter, so were all of my mates, it is quite embarrassing.

“Even my mum said I was a bit stupid considering it said it was a photo on the listing.

“I’m still just hoping that I get my refund though and I can finally get a genuine Xbox One for my son, I only want to make him happy at Christmas time.

“But I don’t know if that will happen now because I’ve heard they have sold out and nobody can get them in time for December 25 anymore.

“This has definitely turned me off eBay and I don’t think I will be using it again because of this.

“It has potentially ruined Christmas.”

The XBox One was released in the UK on November 22, with a special Day One edition reserved for those who picked the machine up on its first day of sale priced at #600.

A spokesman for eBay said: “We don’t allow listings which mislead, and will take action against this seller.

“Customers can shop with confidence on eBay as we guarantee you will get your item or your money back.

“Mr Clatworthy is covered by the eBay money-back guarantee and we will be contacting him to put things right.”

Tessa Coates, Trading Standards Officer at Nottinghamshire County Council, said: “We are not aware of an eBay scam of this nature.

“However, we would encourage all eBay buyers to pay for their goods using PayPal to give them extra protection.

“PayPal states that if the item doesn’t match the seller’s description or gets lost in the post then it will give the buyer their money back.

“Our main tips for buying online generally this Christmas is make sure you’re getting a good deal, know who you’re dealing with and protect your personal and financial information.”

Why eBay sucks.

Which 4 year old would appreciate an Xbox One anyway? Just buy him a box and he’ll be happy.

3. Rose says:

An xbox for his son’s FIRST Christmas? Really?

This guy is stupid, READ THE BLOODY DESCRIPTION. AND WHY THE HELL ARE YOU BUYING A 4 YEAR OLD AN XBOX ONE?????????????

5. sqrtle says:

What an idiot, it clearly states “PHOTO” he only has himself to blame.

Also 19yo with 4yo son, he obviously is a noob at life and ebay.

6. Nathan says:

Okay:
    1) If his son is four years old then it is not his first Christmas, is it?
    2) Why would you buy a four year old a games console?! Was he not just treating himself?
    3) He’s a 19 year old student with a four year old…
    £450 could go much further if he wasn’t such a fool.

You sucks, the guy who didn’t see that it was a photo sucks and this asshole seller sucks!
    eBay is such a good website, if you are not a stupid.

• Derp says:

Learn to read.

8. Carl says:

He wanted to buy an XBox One for his 1-year-old Son. Wow. He got what was coming. “My son had been asking for it”. Your one year old son??

What an idiot. It clearly says photo so why has he been giving a refund?

• Derp says:

Learn to read.

Headline should read “idiot paid…..”

11. sam herrett says:

so hes buying an xbox one for his sons first Christmas
    yeah ok…

12. You're All Morons says:

To all those attacking him, learn to read.

Umm… This story doesn’t make sense?! He’s 19 and has a FOUR year old son- im not even going to make a comment on that one!- and it’s his son’s FIRST christmas?!!…. How?! Lol why has the person writing this and ebay not picked up on quite an obvious flaw in his story? Thick, thick and thick!

His son was born on a leap year. ;)

15. Sav says:

I guess his son was born on a leap year! ;)

It says “Photo” on the auction … How is this a scam? He got exactly what he bid on. I’ve been eBaying for years with very few issues.

17. Greg says:

What a douche?! The whole story doesn’t make sense, the boy is 19 years old, he has a son that is 4 years old and it’s his 1st Christmas? I can also see a 4 year old child asking for n XBOX one for Christmas?! Are you really sure it wasn’t for you?! Mackenzie? Named after a famous chav brand sold at JD sports! Lol? Whatever next

18. gokhan fakir says:

Paypal states that item does not match the scammer’s description. Buyer is refunded because scammer did not change the color ink cartridge before printing out.