Greedy dog survives after stealing a chicken kebab and swallowing the SKEWER

March 26, 2013 | by | 0 Comments

A hungry hound has been given the all clear by vets – after spearing his insides with a metal KEBAB skewer.

Reggie the springer spaniel guzzled the chicken kebab sticks after pinching them from a table in his owners’ kitchen.

The metal spikes speared FOUR of his major organs but Reggie incredibly survived for 10 days before falling ill.

Pete Everett with his dog Reggie, Vet Daniela Murgia and dog co- owner Justine Barber

Pete Everett with his dog Reggie, Vet Daniela Murgia and dog co- owner Justine Barber

Owners Pete Everett and Justine Barber rushed him to the vet where the 15 month-old pup underwent emergency surgery to save his life.

A scan showed the skewer had ruptured the ball of his stomach, perforated his liver and diaphragm and was protruding his heart sac.

X - Ray that shows the kebab skewer inside Reggie's stomach

X – Ray that shows the kebab skewer inside Reggie’s stomach

Vet Daniela Murgia, of the Animal Health Trust surgery nr Newmarket, Cambs, said: “I’ve never seen a case like this before.

“The fact that the kebab stick had not just been ingested, but had managed to perforate so many vital organs was astonishing.

“But what was even more surprising was that Reggie had survived for a few days in that intense state of discomfort before he came in as an emergency.

“I’m just so glad we were able to operate in time.”

Owner Pete, of Ipswich, Suffolk, said: “We can’t thank Daniela and her team enough for everything they have done for Reggie.
“He wouldn’t be here now if it wasn’t for them. We still can’t believe just how much damage the kebab stick was able to cause him in such a short amount of time.”

Reggie went back to AHT on Monday for a check up and ultra-sound and was given the all clear.

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy