An insomniac dad died after accidentally taking an overdose of a legal morphine-like drug he bought over the internet to help him SLEEP, an inquest has heard.
Tragic Jason Nock, 41, had FIVE times the fatal quantity of AH-7921 – which is NOT covered by the Misuse of Drugs Act – in his system.
The desperate dad, who had a one-year-old daughter Jemima, used the synthetic drug after years of being plagued by insomnia.
An inquest heard the computer technician was found dead at his home in Cradley Heath, West Mids., by his devasted partner Lea Maninang on August 17 last year.
He was rushed to Russells Hall Hospital in nearby Dudley, West Mids., where doctors battled to save him but he was pronounced dead later the same day.
Jason’s grieving partner Miss Maninang told the inquest Mr Nock ordered the drug online but insisted he was not an addict.
Breaking down in tears, she told the hearing: “He ordered it from the internet and they delivered it.
“I just found out about him taking these drugs when I moved in with him (in 2012).
“Just lately before he died he said it helped with his sleeping. Sometimes he took it, sometimes he didn’t.”
Dr Sixto Batitang, a consultant pathologist at the hospital, told the inquest tests showed Jason had 4.46mg of the drug per litre of blood in his system.
Dudley Coroner’s Court heard the usual fatal dose of the drug was between 0.81 and 0.99mg.
Dr Batitang told Wednesday’s hearing that AH-7921 was similar to morphine in its action and potency, adding: “The possibility of toxicity from this drug is really very high.”
Recording a verdict of accidental death, Black Country coroner Robin Balmain vowed to ask the Home Office to consider banning the substance.
He said: “This is tragic. It seems to me the problem with drugs that are not prescribed by a doctor and obtained through a pharmacist is that you don’t know what they are
“And perhaps more importantly, you don’t know how many to take and how regularly to take them before problems occur.
“I also propose to write to the Home Office about this case.
“I’m aware that obtaining drugs other than via prescription is very easy these days. It’s possible to obtain all sorts of substances via the internet.
“Even though it’s a big problem, I think it’s necessary that people like me draw to the attention of the Home Office what the problems are to see if anything can be done.
“Consideration might be given to making it illegal which it isn’t at the moment.”
It is not known which website Jason used to buy the drug but one site is offering AH-7921 for as little as £25.
The site - http://buyresearchchemicalz.
Users can buy 14 for £36, 21 for £28 or even 28 for £25.
The site says the drug was discovered in the 1970s by a team at British pharmaceutical manufacturer Allan and Hanbury’s.
It adds it is classified as an opioid analgesic with high addictive liability.
Opioids are medications that are derived from opium, which is collected from the seed pods of opium poppies.
Many synthetic opioids are used in the medical world for therapeutic use and can be used to manage pain safely and effectively.
But the site warns they can lead to side effects like nausea and vomiting with even a single large dose causing death.
Speaking from the couple’s home yesterday, Miss Maninang said: “Jason was my world. What has happened as devastated us all.”
Verdict: Accidental death