Jimmy Savile cops probe claims he abused children during visits to Royal Marines training HQ

July 1, 2013 | by | 1 Comment
Jimmy Savile allegedly abused children during visits to a Royal Marines training HQ

Jimmy Savile allegedly abused children during visits to a Royal Marines training HQ

Detectives are investigating fresh claims that Jimmy Savile abused children during visits to the Royal Marines’ elite training HQ.

Devon and Cornwall police have received FOUR complaints about the predatory paedophile relating to the elite Commando Training Centre at Lympstone, near Exeter.

Savile was a regular and trusted visitor to the base over 40 years and was awarded an honorary Commando Green Beret after completing a gruelling speed march over Dartmoor.

Seven Royal Marines acted as pall bearers at Savile’s funeral in November 2011 before the full horrors of his crimes became known.

The proud corps also named a room at Lympstone after Savile in recognition of his association with them. It has since been renamed The Families’ Room.

Devon and Cornwall police have confirmed they are investigating six complaints of abuse by Savile in their area.

Four of the incidents are alleged to have happened at Lympstone although the dates and circumstances of the offences have not been revealed.

It is not known whether the alleged victims were the children of serving Marines or youngsters visiting the base on open ‘fun days’.

The Royal Navy said: “The Royal Navy Police have consulted with the Devon and Cornwall Constabulary and the matter now lies in their hands.”

Detective Superintendent Paul Northcott, head of public protection at Devon and Cornwall Police, said: “When we receive a referral we make contact with the victim and fully assess the case and any allegations that are made.

“We also assess whether there are any other lines of inquiry that need to be carried out. The victims are fully supported throughout the process.”

The claims have incensed the Royal Marines which had regarded Savile as a friend.

One former officer said: “It is now clear that Jimmy Savile was a despicable individual.

“The possibility that he attacked children while on Ministry of Defence property is extremely serious.

“I hope every effort is being made to investigate these allegations.”

The claims are among hundreds which have been made against the former Top Of The Pops presenter since his death.

Earlier this year a shocking report by the Metropolitan Police and NSPCC said Savile’s offending spanned more than half a century from 1955 to 2009.

The first record linking him to a sexual abuse investigation was dated 1964 – but officers failed to act.

Numerous other complaints against him were also ignored over the years, leaving the child sex monster free to die unpunished.

A report yesterday said that since his death sex offences recorded by police across Britain have risen by an average of nine per cent because of the so-called Savile effect.

Category: News

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Rabbitaway says:

    When will this nonsense stop. Anyone can make an allegation but such claims must be FULLY investigated before they are accepted as facts. As usual, the ‘dates’ and ‘circumstances’ of the (alleged) ‘offences’ have not been ‘revealed’, surprise surprise. Justice for the victims – surely the biggest ‘victim’ here is the late Sir Jimmy Savile ! Proof please !

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy