Momentum Electric, a London-based electric bicycle company known for their affordable high quality electric bikes, has just launched the most powerful legal electric bike, VIT-S, on crowdfunding campaign site Kickstarter. The bike is the most powerful electric bike available with a maximum power output of 700W and 95Nm of torque and still meets EU and US rated power legal requirements of 250W and 350W. It is also highly efficient and has a range of up to 100 miles (160 km) on a single charge.
The powerful motor used on VIT-S is the result of a joint venture between Nidec and Itochu as they muscle into the electric bike motor OEM market. Nidec is the world market leader in precision motors and Itochu is the largest company in Japan. Momentum Electric is the first company in the world to launch an electric bike using this new Nidec motor. The motor is also highly efficient, beating a leading European motor manufacturer in a benchmark test.
“The project started in 2013 and the development of this flagship e-bike has gone through the equivalent of a lifetime for a small company like us!” says Momentum Electric founder Ying-Tsao Tan. “Having the luxury of starting the project VIT-S early in the development of the motor, we have been able to maximise its potential.
To make this ultimate urban electric bike, Momentum Electric included some of the latest bicycle technological innovations. The frame was designed in collaboration with multiple award-winning Milan-based industrial design consultancy Meneghello Paolelli Associati. The sleek design of the frame draws its inspiration from the theme of speed and it is hydroformed in order to remain true to its original design intent. The front forks are made from the super lightweight material carbon fibre. The innovative carbon fibre handlebar is shock absorbing with 20mm of travel reducing fatigue from road vibrations. The gears shift seamlessly with the latest NuVinci N330 continuously variable transmission providing a gear ratio of 330%. The transmission is a clean, strong and lightweight Gates Carbon CDX belt drive that never needs adjusting. The Miranda e-Bike Carbon Crank has a super strength to weight ratio and is the lightest e-bike crank on the market. The brake used for this fast and powerful electric bike is the award-winning Magura MT5 hydraulic disc brake. The rear lights are beautifully integrated into the seatpost and turn on automatically.
The name of the bike, VIT-S, is play on the French word for speed, vitesse, and the letter S symbolises both the beautiful s-shaped frame as well as the speed. VIT-S is a truly international effort and the result of the collaboration between one of the smallest companies in Europe and one of the largest companies in Japan.
Momentum Electric has been punched above its weight again for the development of this high-end electric bike. The Kickstarter campaign allows them to bring VIT-S into production and in return, the backers get the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to buy a powerful top-of-the-range electric bike from £2200, well below the retail price of £4000 when it hits the shops. The Kickstarter campaign will run until the 25th of December, 2016. The Kickstarter campaign link is at:momentumelectric.com/vit-s
• Motor system Nidec mid-drive motor with quadruple sensors motor system 48 V 250 W (rated), 700 W (max), 95 Nm (max)
• Battery Panasonic cells 380 Wh
• Size 48.5 cm
• Weight 20.9 kg
• Range Eco: 160 km, Normal: 120 km, Hi: 100 km, Power: 80 km
• Recharge time 4-6 hours
• Display LCD Eco: 60 %, Norm: 120 %, Hi: 200 %, Power: 300 %
• Frame Aluminium 6061 hydroformed
• Fork Carbon fibre lightweight fork
• Drivetrain NuVinci N330 with Gates Carbon Drive CDX 55T / 24T
• Wheels Schwalbe 37-622 Alexrims ATD 490 Shimano Deore HB-M525
• Brakes Magura MT5 hydraulic disc brakes Storm HC 180 mm
• Handlebar Baramind Bam MTB shock absorbing handlebar 710 mm (Lite Baramind Bam City shock absorbing handlebar 620mm)
• Grips Velo VLG 1605 Kraton ergonomic grips
• Stem Satori Stealth 6 110 mm 3D forged one bolt stem
• Crank Miranda e-Bike Carbon Crank (Lite Lasco EB-07 cold forged alloy)
• Headset Neco H-373C full integrated
• Saddle Velo VL6307 Double density comfort saddle
• Seatpost LightSKIN with integrated rear light
• Pedals Wellgo M111
• Front light AXA Blueline 30
• Warranty Frame: 5 years, Electric system: 2 years
• MSRP £4000 (Lite £3500)