Mum sells BREAST MILK on gumtree to beat the credit crunch

June 9, 2010 | by | 50 Comments

A young mum has come up with a novel way of earning some extra cash while on maternity leave – by selling her breast milk online.

Cash-strapped Toni Ebdon, 26, gave birth earlier this year and found herself producing more than enough milk for baby boy David.

So she turned to the internet in a bid to offer expectant mothers who could not produce their own milk the chance to use hers.

But Toni was stunned when her only customers turned out to be men – who use the milk for its healing properties.

Studies have shown breast milk can be used to maintain general good health and could even be a miracle cure for adult illnesses including cancer, diarrhoea and diabetes.

Toni, of Exeter, Devon, now has ten regular customers, who she charges £15 for 4oz of breast milk.

She said: ”I was expecting women who couldn’t breast feed to get in touch but instead all the responses were from men.

”Breast milk has healing properties and I think people want to use it for those reasons.

”I tend not to ask too many questions or pry into people’s private lives.

”All communication prior to the sale is done via email and I meet the customer in person to hand over the milk.

”They can have it fresh or store it in the freezer for up to one month.

”I always feed my baby first so he gets the most nutritious milk.

”I haven’t made loads of money but there’s plenty more milk to come and I intend to carry on selling it until it dries up.”

Health support worker Toni fell pregnant in June but split up with partner Gareth Ebdon, 29, shortly after.

She gave birth to baby David on March 25 but was left feeling uncomfortable after breast feeding due to the large quantities of milk she produced.

So she started using a breast pump to filter off the excess and storing it in the freezer and decided to put an ad on Gumtree for mothers to get in touch.

But she was inundated with emails from men who wanted to use it to maintain good health and fight off short-term illnesses.

Breat milk contains anti-biotic properties which helpes wars off ilnesses, as well as alpha-lactalbumin which can help in the battle against cancer.

It also contains the acne-fighting property lauric acid and oligosaccharides to help fight chronic diarrhoea.

Toni’s milk costs £15 for 4oz and an extra £5 per ounce thereafter and it takes her between 15 minutes and an hour to produce an ounce.

So far, Toni’s biggest order has been for 12oz and she estimates she has sold around 30oz so far – and says she has no intention to quit.

She added: ”Because I’d only been in my job for a few months before I gave birth I wasn’t entitled to full maternity pay.

”My baby’s father is still on the scene but we’re not living together and he doesn’t have the means to support us financially.

”I’ll certainly continue selling it for as long as is possible, and if I had a second child I would do the same.

”But next time I think I’d use an electric pump, as it’s much quicker.”

Tags: , , , ,

1. emmanuel says:

i wish you could send me a sample here in Nigeria.

2. emmanuel says:

i wish you could send me a sample here in Nigeria.

3. tanvir says:

this milk belongs to your BABY

4. tanvir says:

this milk belongs to your BABY

5. wes says:

@tanvir – Did you even read the article?? "Toni Ebdon, 26, gave birth earlier this year and found herself producing more than enough milk for baby boy David.

A friend joked that she was producing so much extra milk that Toni could open her very own dairy."

6. wes says:

7. Rivka says:

and milk from a cow belongs to a calf and we drink it anyways. if something has a healing quality why turn it away? its not like shes gettin knocked up and starving her child to make money sellin her breastmilk

8. Rivka says:

9. MamaRich says:

Strange how this is so taboo. In America many adoptive parents buy breastmilk at great expense to feed their babies. It really isn't that long ago that wet-nursing was common even in this country. Shame there has to be a pervy take to the story, but that says more about the author than this lady. Good luck to you Toni and your baby boy.

10. MamaRich says:

11. Firemouse says:

The foremilk, the thinner milk that the baby gets when first starting a nursing session, is meant to satisfy a baby's thirst. Later on in the nursing session the hindmilk, richer in fats and calories begins to flow. You might want to learn more about the changing composition of breast milk and how it serves your baby's needs, before deciding which part of the flow to bottle for customers.

12. Firemouse says:

13. JonB says:

@tanvir says

"this milk belongs to your BABY"

Oh stop it already. She lives in a capitalist society. People are doing all sort's of nonsense to exist. At least she is not selling weapons, drugs, etc., that are detrimental to society!

• Jennyeales says:

This lady is feeding her baby first if you bother to read the full details. Only excess milk is being sold and filling a gap in the market. Many people know it has healing properties.

14. JonB says:

@tanvir says

"this milk belongs to your BABY"

15. beth says:

It's a great idea except that it's probably 100% perverts that are ordering from her and that would creep me out too much to sell my own breastmilk.

16. beth says:

17. Fiona says:

Do you really have to sell? You can donate to the local hospitals where premature babies and full term babies are in desperate need of breast milk. When both my children were born the hospital approached me and asked if I would donate the excess milk. I was very happy to do so. This meant that I would freeze the milk and it was collected by the hospital and used to feed those in need.

18. Fiona says:

19. Toni says:

Just to let you all know I produce too much milk so much it was going to waste, my baby was prem and for the first time in forever my local milk bank southampton was full. By the time they where taking milk again I was ready to just got home and really didnt want to spend anymore time in hospital filling out paperwork. My work messed me about and stressed me out so much it nearly killed my baby. So until you go through what I have been through then you shouldnt judge. But hey each to there own 🙂 My baby was 3.9lbs at 5 week early he is now still full breast feeds @5 mnths and 14.3lbs and has cloths toys and a cot which the money has helped paid for! it aint like I have ever sat on the dole.

20. Toni says:

21. Toni says:

Oh yeah I also dont express until my baby has had a full feed Im not stupid!

22. Toni says:

Oh yeah I also dont express until my baby has had a full feed Im not stupid!

23. terri says:

fair play toni i dont blame u in the slites, what an amazing idea! who cares wether its a man bying it for himself,

if there willing to pay good money for it, an means you can spoil your bby more thn u could have with out ot

i think u used ur inisetive, an bein a singel mum living on maternity allowance is not easy i knw lol, i think ur fab for earnin eextra cash this way i realy do at least u get to keep evry penny of what u earn. I breast feed an am a single mum on maternity allowance finding it hard at times tomake ends meet an youve given me ispiration to consider what you do. too many people our jugement about thinks an is worng, the looks given too a women breast feedin in public, is probly why many dont but were told its best for baby, its ok to see breasts every day in the sun paper for mens pleasure yet uncmoftble for them to see breasts bein used for what there ment for! we live im messt up sociaty. if men can get paid for donatin sperm, why is it soooo wrong for women to donate milk n get paid for it! toni ur far from stupid ur an inspriasipn no mater what ppl may say. its a great idea all the best toni.

r

24. Lrfemsup44 says:

Some might think it strange at first but how strange is humans drinking the milk of animals.This milk is made for humans and it carries so many nutrients and things that ward off illnes.I say good on you Ms Ebdon.

No need to worry about it drying up either its supply and demand.The more you produce the more your breasts will want to produce.

25. Laura Balmforth says:

How did you send it ?

26. Laura Balmforth says:

How did you send it ?

27. Natalieanne92 says:

I’m also selling breast milk if anyone is interested email me with the title at natalieanne92@hotmail.com

28. Bigbabyrobert says:

toni plz contact me let me know if you are still selling breastmilk. thanks bbr

29. Bigbabyrobert says:

toni my email address is bigbabyrobert@yahoo.co.uk plz contact about sale of breastmilk

30. Evopower786 says:

hi i am looking for breast milk
    but the problem is i would like to have the breast milk from the breasts myself
    i would like to suck it from the breast myself
    sorry but that is just the way i am anyone willing to let me ????
    please get in touch thanks H
    email evopower786@yahoo.co.uk bye for now x

31. Rescueco160 says:

Toni what is your email?

32. 2011 says:

how do you find people to sell to?

33. Breastmilkinabottle says:

Is anybody still looking for breast milk

34. Breastfeedinabottle says:

can anybody help with advice of where to sell excess breast milk Thanks

35. Breastmilkinabottle says:

can anybody help with advice of where to sell excess breast milk Thanks
    sorry posted wrong name on previous post

36. Lara says:

im also selling the best breast milk ever to other babies out there. My baby loves my milk and smiles when he drinks it

i am an adult baby will need 30 minutes real sucking for £50 and nothing more. contact me at my e-mail: vic22236@yahoo.co.uk
    i live in the uk, birmingham area.

38. Maddy says:

Can u feed me

If anyone is looking for fresh/frozen breast milk I sell as well. My email is maria.ahmad51@yahoo.co.uk.