Former Royal Marine battered to death in the street after rugby game in South Africa

March 28, 2013 | by | 0 Comments
Ex Royal Marine Brett Williams with his daughter. He was battered to death after a rugby match in South Africa

Former Royal Marine Brett Williams with his daughter. He was battered to death after a rugby match in South Africa

A former Royal Marine has been battered to death in the street as he left a rugby game in South Africa.

Horrified witnesses said ‘placid’ Brett Williams was severely beaten and kicked by a group of fans after accidentally bumping into a man.

The murder followed a game between Durban Sharks and Melbourne Rebels and happened outside the home side’s supporter’s club.

Brett, 29, had been a Royal Marine until March last year and served in Afghanistan with 40 Commando.

He had a partner Louise Scott and a young daughter Lailah, who will be four next week.

Brett was born in South Africa but had become a British citizen and previously lived at Bishops Lydeard, Somerset, near 40 Commando’s HQ.

After leaving the Marines he returned to South Africa and was working as a security guard protecting ships from pirates.

He was taking a short break after his ship docked in Durban and was due to travel to Johannesburg the day after his death to visit relatives.

His devastated cousin Tarryn Williams said Brett had attended the rugby game last Sunday with crewmates.

She said: “He was not a trouble-starter. He was the most placid guy.”

Josh Mills, a friend and former colleague in the Royal Marines, said: “He was an absolutely fantastic guy and will be sorely missed by everyone.

Brett in his Royal Marine camouflage gear. He has been a Royal Marine until March last year and served in Afghanistan with 40 Commando

Brett in his Royal Marine camouflage gear. He has been a Royal Marine until March last year and served in Afghanistan with 40 Commando

“He was a loving dad who thought the world of Louise and Lailah. He was a top quality family man.”

He said Brett’s family had been told an arrest has been made in connection with the attack.

The Foreign Office said: “We can confirm the death of a British national on March 24 in Durban. We stand ready to provide consular assistance at this difficult time.”

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy