A teenager accidentally hanged himself when he became entangled in a rope swing, an inquest heard today.
Guy Vickery, 17, died while playing on a swing in fields opposite his family’s £350,000 home in the picturesque village of Longdon, near Tewkesbury, Glos.
An inquest at Worcestershire Coroners Court heard the rope got wrapped around the teenager’s neck and he choked to death on July 31 this year.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, Worcestershire Coroner Geraint Williams said: “Mr Vickery was playing on a swing in fields adjacent to his home when he became entangled in the ropes and died.
“He died as a result of an accident.”
The cause of death was recorded as “hanging.”
The tragedy occurred just yards from the home he shared with mum Josephine, 53, and dad Colin, 56.
Family and friends paid touching tributes to Guy on an online obituary posted on the day of his funeral on August 10.
His family wrote: “Desperately missed. Beloved Son, Brother and Nephew. Our lovely gentle boy.”
Family friend Lynette Webster added: “Dear dear Guy.
“It was the most painful painful honour to play my goodbyes to you today. I am going to miss you so very very much lovely, gentle young man.
“I really don’t understand why but may you rest in peace now dear Guy.xxx”
A friend of Guy said: “Guy was just the best. He had a real zest for life and loved the outdoors.
“He was a real adventurer and was always building and inventing things. For him to die in such a tragic way is heart-breaking.”
Just weeks before his death Guy won a go-karting tournament on a day out with a church club.
The Outer Limits Youth Group, which Guy regularly attended, was run by staff at St. Mary’s Church, Longdon, where the teen was laid to rest just a month later.
Yesterday his family was to distraught to speak about the tragedy.
Verdict: Accidental death.