Thug who kicked terminally-ill grandfather ‘like a football’ walks free

October 29, 2010 | by | 14 Comments

A thug who attacked a terminally-ill grandfather and kicked his head ”like a football” has walked free from court.

Thug who kicked terminally-ill grandfather 'like a football' walks free

Vicious Reece Kent, 19, repeatedly punched Ken Oliver in the head before kicking him on the floor because he mistakenly thought he was the father of a girl he knew.

Cancer sufferer Ken, who has been given just three months to live, was left in a pool of blood on his doorstep with these horrific injuries.

Reece, 19, admitted carrying out the unprovoked attack – which was filmed on a mobile phone – and pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm.

But grandfather-of-three Ken, of Broxbourne, Herts., watched in disbelief as his attacker walked free from court last week with a six-month suspended sentence.

Today he stormed: ”I would love to have seen him go away for a long, long time. I could quite easily have died. I was expecting him to go to jail. I am gutted.

”Before I knew what was going on I was being punched and kicked. My head was used as a football and the whole attack was recorded on a mobile phone.

”I am appalled at the sentence. They were swearing and laughing in my face. He should have been locked up for what he did.

”His barrister said he feels remorse but when he turned up in court he just sneered at me. I hope he is ashamed for the rest of his life.”

Thug who kicked terminally-ill grandfather 'like a football' walks free

St Albans Crown Court heard that Kent and two friends began banging on his door at 3.30am on October 23 asking for someone called Molly.

As Kent launched a vicious attack on Ken, his friends filmed the assault with a mobile phone in front of his wife Pauline, 64, and his three-year-old granddaughter.

The pensioner had undergone surgery to remove a third of his lung just five weeks earlier.

He suffered a cracked left cheekbone, extensive bruising round his left eye and face and a dislocated toe.

Ken spent a week in intensive care at Queen?s Hospital, Romford, Essex, and a CT scan revealed bleeding in the brain and left temple.

Recorder Peter Digney told him: ”The man you kicked was a man who had enough problems without you adding to them.”

He had decided by the ”slightest margin” not to send him to jail.

Tags: ,

this is unbelievable

2. Justice? says:

This is revolting.

3. william says:

What is this country coming too? An unprovoked attack on a pensioner who is already terminally ill doesn’t call for punishment. I want to move away, this country has had it.

4. Raven Amos says:

This kid even looks like a little f***ing hoodlum. But the question remains – who is the person he wanted to beat up and why?

5. Dave says:

This is why we have armed citizens in the US.

6. guest says:

How is this justice? If the very same thing with the very same details had happened to the judge or some snooty uppity cruster then you know this thug would not have gotten off with a suspended sentence alone. Hope 4chan doles out some serious justice for this guy.

7. DEXTER! says:

I cannot believe that a callous thug like this got away with what he did. 5 Years hard labour is what he deserved. It is as bad as child molesting. We are too soft on these idiots.

8. Cyberjuice55 says:

8^( < I await for Dexter come down.This kid have to pay what he has done. (On the realty, I just hope his future employer do a background check on him. Or, just google his name. I am sure some article will come up. Slow punishment, but still not enough for the brutality.)

9. geekboy says:

This is why living in a society that respects property rights and the doctrine of no duty to flee is such a good thing.

10. Suze says:

What goes around, comes around. Reece will get his some day.

11. Hannah says:

That is ridiculous! Reece should have been thrown in Jail, especially since this grandfather is already terminally ill. Therefore, he can’t live his last three months, thinking he’ll be safe, and doing what he wants to do. Reece is selfish and dangerous.

12. furious says:

For quite a while I have thought the best punishment for scumbags like this would be to do to them exactly what they did to their victim. I would really like to see the photograph of this piece of shit after such retribution has been handed out…..maybe by the victim’s favourite football or rugby team.

Of course this coward would run screaming to his mummy. I hope he gets the same treatment from someone soon. The idiot who released him should get the same treatment, and will understand what this poor man went through.

Dexi, thanks for posting the info on

13. Chris oneill says:

Peter Digney , Peter Digney, Peter Digney, Peter Digney. Don’t forget that name. He is the person who let this scumbag walk free. They should throw him in jail for failing the victim, the public and the police. Please sack him or retire him soon .He is a total disgrace

14. Petercat says:

You Brits are insane for letting things like this happen. I like those of you whom I’ve met, you’re good people, but you’re insane.
    Insane sheep.