Toddler burns his hand on a metal sculpture that heated up in the sun

June 23, 2014 | by | 0 Comments

A toddler faces the prospect of plastic surgery after burning his hand on a piece of public art.

Vittorio Mochi, who is 23 months old, put his palm on the metal sculpture and suffered a serious burn because it had got so hot in the scorching sunshine.

The crying youngster was rushed to hospital by his mother Virginia where he was given morphine as his badly blistered skin was surgically removed.

In the week since he has had to return to hospital twice to have his dressings changed and undergone a preliminary examination from a plastic surgeon.

The accident happened in Portishead, North Somerset where the large metal sculpture forms part of a public art trail around the fashionable marina development.

Children often climb on the artwork, which looks like play equipment, and on her website the artist even encourages families to interact with the work.

But Vir