Two-year-old girl scarred for life after rare allergic reaction burns to Savlon plaster – designed to prevent SCARRING
A two-year-old girl could be scarred for life after suffering an allergic reaction to a plaster – designed to PREVENT scarring.
Dad Daniel Johnson put a plaster from a £3.99 pack of Savlon dressings on little Jayda‘s shoulder after she got a tiny nick to stop her scratching it.
The instructions advised leaving it on for up to a week but when Daniel checked the cut the next day he was horrified to find the plaster had ‘burned’ through her SKIN.
Jayda‘s entire right shoulder and part of her back had become inflamed after a severe allergic reaction and her family fears the she could be left with permanent scarring.
The packaging for the Savlon Hydrocolloid Dressing says the plasters “help prevent scarring” and “promote faster healing”.
Dad-of-two Daniel, 31, of Harlow, Essex, said: “It’s not good. It’s definitely affected her, she’s fully aware of it and it looks terrible to be honest.
“She had a little nick from the edge of the sofa so I put a plaster over it.
“I put it on Sunday morning and then when I took it off on Monday when she got home from nursery I noticed it had burned her massively.
“It seemed to be burning into her skin. The packet said to leave it on for four to seven days.
“I’m terrified that if I had left it on for the full seven days it would’ve burned down to the bone.”
Daniel noticed the burn on January 26 and took Jayda to see a doctor the following morning while his wife Lisa, 29, was at her telesales job.
Daniel, a coach driver, added: “The doctor said it must have been an allergic reaction to the patch.
“It looks awful, like a second degree burn.
“She doesn’t seem to be in too much pain from it, which makes me worry her nerves may have been damaged.”
Jayda has been told to return to see a nurse every two days to get her dressing changed and is on a course of antibiotics after the wound became infected.
Her granmother Margaret Johnson said: “She’s only two and it’s going to scar her.
“The doctor said it could scar her for life and it was only for a nick on the shoulder.
“It looks like it is spreading. I’m very concerned for her.
“If it had been on her face it could have been 20million-times worse – she has never had any sort of skin reaction before.
“For all we know she might be a model when she’s older.
“She’s a stunning little girl but this is disgusting.”
The family have written to Savlon owners Novartis Consumer Health to complain about the product.
A company spokesman said: “We aware of the recent case where a patient experienced a skin reaction on the application site of Savlon Hydrocolloid dressing.
“Patient safety is our highest priority.
“As with any NCH product, we are monitoring and investigating this adverse event and have informed the local health authority.”