Two-year-old girl suffers serious burns to her foot after stepping on a suspected chemical at the beach in Northumbria

June 22, 2015 | by | 0 Comments

A two-year-old girl suffered serious burns to her foot after stepping on a suspected chemical at the beach.

Shannon Rutherford from Belford, Northumberland, 20 had to rush her three year old daughter Amelia Hibbitt to hospital after she burnt her right foot on Bamburgh beach (Ross Parry / SWNS)

Shannon Rutherford from Belford, Northumberland, 20 had to rush her three year old daughter Amelia Hibbitt to hospital after she burnt her right foot on Bamburgh beach (Ross Parry / SWNS)

Little Amelia Hibbit was playing in the sand on a family trip to the beach when she dropped to the ground screaming in pain.

She was rushed to hospital where she spent several days receiving treatment in the specialist burns unit at Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary.

The incident happened on a family trip to Bamburgh, Northumbria with her mum, Shannon Rutherford, brother Nathan Rutherford and mum Maria Gordon.

Medics believe Amelia may have stepped on a chemical while playing the beach after they tested the pH level in her foot.

Amelia at Newacstle RVI after having her burn treated (Ross Parry / SWNS)

Amelia at Newacstle RVI after having her burn treated (Ross Parry / SWNS)

Shannon said: “Amelia was just playing in the sand when she dropped to the ground screaming in pain.

“Her foot started to blister so I rushed her down to the sea to try and cool it down.

“That didn’t work so we went straight back to our local doctor’s surgery who sent us down to the RVI.

“The doctors there think she must have stood on something, either a chemical in the sand or possibly a barbecue that someone has buried there.”

(Ross Parry / SWNS)

(Ross Parry / SWNS)

Police have been informed of the incident and have been in contact with Northumbrian Water.

Shannon, of Belford, Northumbria, said: “Due to the pH level from her foot, they do believe it has been a chemical that has been put on the beach.

“It’s made me angry, upset, the full range of emotions, but the main concern is that I don’t really have any idea how it happened.

“One minute she was playing happily, the next she was in agony.”

Shannon added: “As her parents, we would like people to realise that pouring your waste disposals, etc, onto the beach is not a safe way to dispose of anything as it can cause harm to others.

“We are devastated about what has happened and want to make other people aware of what could possibly be on this beach and to take extra care.”

Amelia was released from hospital on Tuesday after the wound stopped seeping.

However, she still faces a 100-mile round trip for dressing changes and may need surgery if her burns don’t fully heal.

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy