The most bizarre insurance claims for lost and damaged iPhones emerged today as ‘I dropped it from a hot air balloon’ and ‘my dog chewed it’.
Other unusual claims include ‘I lost it while skydiving’, ‘I dropped it in a blender’ and ‘It fell into the kettle’.
The weird and wonderful claims came to light in a study by gadget insurers www.protectyourbubble.com.
It also emerged one in five iPhone users have made an insurance claim during the past 12 months.
Most common claims were for cracked screens, lost or stolen iPhones and iPhones dropped in toilets or baths.
The Apple smart phone – which launched in 2007 – sold more than 42 million units – and the iPhone 4 shifted a massive 1.7 million phones in the first three days on sale.
A spokesman for www.protectyourbubble.com said: ”With so many people carrying an iPhone with them wherever they go, it’s no surprise that they are being lost or damaged in a host of unusual ways.
”Most of us know someone who has managed to drop their iPhone in a pint of beer or down the toilet – but these bizarre claims we have uncovered must be one-offs.
”The amazing ways people manage to be separated from their iPhone goes to show that you never know what’s around the corner – and it pays to get your iPhone insured.”
The study also found 45 per cent of claims for iPhones have been for accidental damage.
One unlucky customer lost his iPhone after leaning over the side of a boat in Cyprus, to see it fall out of the rucksack and plop into the sea.
Another claimed a clumsy pal spilled beer over his phone down their local.
Another claimed he’d lost his phone when it flew out of the window from the dashboard of his car as he drove round a corner.
Other insurance claims made by iPhone users include ‘lost it under the wheels of a bus’.
A coffee shop assistant was busy making an espresso for a customer, only to turn around and find he had walked off with his phone which was sitting on the side.
Other more usual claims include losing internet connection, screen freeze, pets knocking the phone off a work surface and the fact the phone doesn’t charge.
TOP 10 MOST BIZARRE IPHONE CLAIMS
1. I dropped it from a hot air balloon
2. I lost it while sky diving
3. It broke when my son used it as a table tennis racket
4. I lost it while building a sand castle for the kids
5. I accidentally buried it in the garden
6. It fell into the kettle
7. I dropped it in a food blender
8. My dog mistook it for his favourite toy and chewed it to pieces
9. Juice from a defrosting piece of meat leaked into it
10. It flew out of the car window
TOP 10 MOST COMMON IPHONE CLAIMS
1. Cracked screen
2. Stolen while texting
3. Couldn’t hear the other person when making a call
4. Leaving phone on the car roof so it falls off when driving
5. Pet knocked the phone off the surface
6. Stolen from handbag
7. Internet connection completely broken
8. iPhone doesn’t charge
9. Dropped in the bath / toilet
10. Screen freezes