A young woman with terminal cancer who has always dreamed of being a bride has ticked another wish off her bucket list by having – a hen party.
Steph Knight, 21, has been fighting an incurable bone cancer for four years and has just months to live.
She has compiled a bucket list of 50 touchingly ‘normal’ things she wants to do in the last few months of her life – including having a pretend hen party with friends.
And on February 25 lucky Steph was given an X-rated show by strippers the Dreamboys dressed in her own hen party T-shirt.
She was joined by 45 friends and family at The Crown pub in Litlington, Cambs., who enjoyed a hamper of hen party gifts from Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York.
Steph’s mum Cindy, 58, yesterday said: “It was absolutely fabulous.
“It was better than we ever could have imagined it could be. It went off really well and everyone was saying the next day that it was the best one they had ever been to.
“The Dreamboys were fabulous – two lovely guys who looked after us all night long and served us cocktails and did a show.
“The girls had a whale of a time and we played lots of silly games.
“The box of goodies was really great and we had professional T-shirts with Stephanie’s face on the front and nick-names for everyone on the back.
“All the extras added to the whole atmosphere.”
Steph, who is undergoing Chemotherapy at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, wrote on Facebook: “I would like to thank Deb and all her staff that put on a great night and for everyone that came to my no hen hen do i had a fantastic time and without crying i love you all so much and i don’t know what i’d do without you x x x”
The former teaching assistant has already completed half her bucket list with the help of her family and friends and some famous faces.
A few weeks ago Take That star Gary Barlow popped round for a cup of tea and sang ‘Back For Good’ to her in her living room in Braughing, Herts.
Gary’s visit was arranged thanks to star Amanda Holden who has been friends with the family since meeting through the Willow Foundation charity.
Steph has also ticked off other wishes including completing her childcare qualifications and spending a morning at work.
She has been to an ice bar, had a ‘normal’ drunken night at the pub and managed to get a ticket to the Brit Awards.
She has met comedian David Walliams, Britain’s Got Talent judges Simon Cowell and Alicia Dixon, hairdresser Nikki Clarke and magician Dynamo.
And she took her brother Lloyd, 25, sister Racheal Cross, 31, and Racheal’s husband Dean, 38, to Tottenham Hotspurs’ football training ground.
On Saturday Steph is going to London to see Wicked and is meeting Ben Freeman, who plays the lead Fiyero, for afternoon tea.
Next week Steph and her mum are going to Lifehouse Spa Hotel in Essex, and the family are going on holiday to Chichester, West Sussex on March 18.
Steph was just 17 when she was diagnosed with bone cancer, called Ewings sarcoma, in 2009 and had to have her right leg and part of her pelvis removed.
She went into remission for just over a year but on New Years’ Day was given the devastating news that the cancer had returned and there was no cure.
Steph, who writes a blog about her experiences at www.stephknight.co.uk, is undergoing another round of chemotherapy next week in a bid to prolong her life.
The wishes yet to be fulfilled on her list include meeting the Manchester United football team with dad Steve and Prince William and Kate Middleton.
STEPH’S BUCKET LIST IN FULL
– To go on a holiday with all my family, where we can all be together and be
alone, with dogs – achieved
– Go to the seaside, 2p machines with friends and family especially nieces and
– Fly an aeroplane – achieved
– To jump out of an aeroplane strapped to an instructor – not possible
– Complete my childcare qualification – achieved
– Hair extensions, arranged by Amanda holden – achieved
– To laugh until I cry or my body hurts
– Watching the sunset in the most beautiful of places
– To be told I’m the coolest Auntie – achieved
– To meet Amanda Holden – achieved
– To watch Britain’s Got Talent and meet Amanda again – achieved
– To have the girls day
– To have spa days and a girls spa weekend – achieved
– Try on wedding dresses - achieved
– To have a hen night – achieved
– Go on stage at the Royal Albert Hall – achieved
– Too make someone’s cancer experience slightly happier to get through
– Swim with dolphins – achieved
– Take my sister, niece and mum to see Wicked at the theatre – achieved
– Go to the theatre – achieved
– Big shopping spree
– Afternoon tea – achieved
– Cocktail nights
– Cocktail night with naked waiters – achieved
– Go to an Ice bar – achieved
– To get my sister to be able to meet Gary Barlow or Robbie Williams – achieved
– McDonalds on a road trip to a concert Plan B_ spa hotel – friends and family – achieved
– Make full use of cinema card (stop wasting money lol)
– “Normal” DruNken night at the pub – achieved
– To be able to drive again
– Be able to go to work – achieved
– To meet Dynamo – achieved
– To have a shopping centre all too ourselves me – the family – and friends
(probably only the girls would want too)
– Posh sleep over – big house – catered food – cinema room – beautician – comfy
– Comedy night – Russell Howard would be great
– Afternoon tea at the Ritz – achieved
– To learn to sword cork – achieved
– Spend a stress free family day
– To eat really lovely food
– Walk the dogs – dogs need training (HELP)
– All inclusive 5* Holiday ;o)
– Too meet Kate and Prince William
– For me and my dad to meet the Manchester United team
– For me, my brother, brother-in-law and sister to meet the Tottenham Hotspur
team – achieved
– Take too many pictures and laugh a lot.
– Trip on the London Eye – achieved