Woman, 29, who was raped by step-father slams soft judge after attacker could be out in THREE years

June 26, 2014 | by | 0 Comments

A woman who was brutally raped by her step-father has blasted a soft judge – after her attacker was told he would be free in just THREE YEARS.

Siobhan Ames-Bell, 29, watched last week as evil Anthony Ames – who she called ‘dad’ – was jailed for six-and-a-half years at Northampton Crown Court.

Twisted Ames, 60, raped Siobhan while drunk at his home in May 2012, years after he first developed sexual feelings for her.

But after the judge ruled the crime was the lowest of three rape categories Ames was told he would be released on licence after serving half his sentence.

But yesterday (Thur), Siobhan, who waived her anonymity to speak out, blasted the sentences given to convicted rapists.

She said: “My life has been turned completely upside down by this. I don’t trust people.

“I was forced to move to a place where I don’t know anyone. II will never let a man near me again. I now have seven locks on my door.

“I don’t sleep because I feel that as soon as I do, I will be able to smell him on me.

“For him to get six or so years and be out in three, I sometimes think if I could back I wouldn’t have bothered to call the police.

“I want people to realise that victims are not getting enough help and support and offenders are not getting enough punishment.

“He has three years in prison but I have the rest of my life to carry this with me.”

Siobhan first noticed Ames – who she called “the closest thing to my father” – had sexual feelings for her when she was in her teens.

He used to touch her inappropriately and engage in prolonged hugs as well as being aggressive towards her boyfriends.

But it was not until one night in May 2012 after her brother-in-law’s birthday party that Ames, who attended her parents’ evenings as a child, struck.

A court heard he had sex with Siobhan while she appeared to be asleep at his home in Rectory Farm, Northampton.

He denied carrying out the attack and told police he had “no record” of the incident and had been drinking throughout that day.

But a jury found him guilty of rape, sexual assault and digital penetration at Northampton Crown Court on June 19.

And the former planner for a cavity-wall insulation firm was caged for six-and-a-half years on June 20.

Judge Timothy Smith said: “You ran a trial in the face of overwhelming DNA evidence.

“You instead tried to blacken the name of the victim, painting her as someone that could not be trusted, as a liar, a fantasist and a drama queen.

“The jury did not accept that picture.

“The fact that you were in drink is not an excuse. In fact it is an aggravating factor.”

Emily Culverhouse, defending, said he was “very sorry for the harm he has done”.

Siobhan has now written a letter to the Prime Minister David Cameron asking him to toughen up on rape sentences.

She fears most rapists go unpunished as terrified victims want to avoid the painful process of reporting incidents to the police.

Siobhan – who moved to Newcastle while her step-father was on bail awaiting trial – added:
“My faith in the justice system has been knocked down.

“But this is why I want to encourage anyone that has been a victim of a similar situation to come forward.

“I feel that the more people that are convicted, the more likely we are to get the laws changed.

“If I can encourage just one woman, one girl, to come forward and stand tall then it will all be worth it.”

Siobhan said reporting the crime – which took place in the house she grew up in – caused a rift between her and her family.

She described the two years knowing that Ames was on conditional bail before his trial as the worst of her life.

Support charity Rape Crisis said only 15 per cent of women and girls who experience sexual violence report it to the police.

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy